Brian K. Stewart is a trial attorney at the firm’s Pasadena office and is the firm’s managing partner. Mr. Stewart predominantly handles professional liability and catastrophic injury matters. He represents professionals in all aspects of their practice with an emphasis in representation of design professionals, including contract review and negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial. He has also successfully handled numerous cases involving catastrophic personal injuries through trial involving wrongful death, quadriplegia, paraplegia, traumatic brain injury, and other matters where catastrophic personal injuries are involved. Mr. Stewart has also successfully argued before the Court of Appeal in California numerous times as well as the California Supreme Court.
In addition, Mr. Stewart is active on various committees for both the American Council of Engineering Companies of California (ACEC-CA) and the American Institute of Architects – California Council (AIA-CC). He was a member of the ACEC-CA subcommittee that successfully assisted in getting fair indemnity legislation for the design professional community via SB 496 passed in California in 2017.
He has also received various honors and awards. In 2009 he was awarded the Honorable AIA-CC designation, in 2014 he received the Presidential Citation from AIA-CC, and in 2016 he received the Honorable AIA-LA designation. He has has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating that organization bestows, for both ethics and ability. In addition, Super Lawyer Magazine has designated Mr. Stewart as a Super Lawyer in the area of professional liability since 2013.
Mr. Stewart received his undergraduate degree from Western Illinois University and his law degree from The John Marshall Law School. He is licensed to practice law in California and Illinois and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Greshko v. County of Los Angeles (1987) 194 Cal.App.3d 822
Markborough v. Superior Court (1991) 227 Cal.App.3d 705
Hansen Mechanical, Inc. v. Superior Court (1995) 40 Cal.App.4th 722
Paz v. State of California (2000) 22 Cal.4th 550
Mr. Stewart has also acted as amicus counsel on behalf of the following professional organizations:
- – National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- – Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC)
- – California Society of Professional Engineers (CSPE)
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Trustee 2004-2005)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- American Institute of Architects (Affiliate Member, Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley Chapters)
- Awarded Honorable AIA – California Council designation in 2009
- American Institute of Architects – California Council (ADAPT Handbook Update Committee 2003 to 2004); Legislative Affairs Committee (2004 to present)
- American Institute of Architects – Los Angeles Chapter (Political Outreach Committee 2004 to 2008)
- American Council of Engineering Companies of California (ACEC – CA) Legislative Review Committee (2006 – present); Business Management & Insurance Committee (2006 – present)
- Pasadena Young Lawyers (President 1990-1991)
- Pasadena Bar Association (President 2002-2003)
- Pasadena Bar Bulletin (Editor 1998-2002)
- Big Brother Is Watching! The Self-Reporting Requirements For Architects In California
- Developing Doctrine Of “Economic Loss” Defense For Design Professionals
- How To Get A Design Professional To Work For Free!